Christmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing up a cristmas ale recipe once I get my shipment from NB.
I have two questions before I do.
First. I'm going to be using this yeast:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast/wl-abbey-ale.html
the lower end of the temp range is 66. Should I try and keep the closet wiu my fermenting bucket at 66 or is the 68 it's at ok?
Second, how long should I wait to rack it to a secondary? And how long from the secondary to bottle? By that I mean, keep it in the secondary even after I reach my FG?
Thanks

whatever your ambient temp is, you can count on 4-8 degrees higher in the fermenter. so, if it's 68, it will likely be at 72-76 for the first few days when fermentation is at its peak. the "normal" fermentation regime for this type of yeast is to start it out around 68 and let it ramp itself up over the course of a week or so and let it finish warm so it attenuates well. but if you keep it relatively low for the first days, it won't overwhelm you with ester production.. but some of that is right for this style.

don't rack it to secondary until your yeast has reached FG and then wait a little longer so the yeast can clean up its by products. you probably don't even need a secondary for this beer, just leave it in the fermenter for ~3 weeks and then bottle. you can just age it in the bottles instead of bulk aging in the secondary and it's one less step. enjoy.

Back