Christmas Ale Still bubbling after 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

Reaction score
I have a batch of Xmas Ale that is in a secondary and still bubbling after over 3 weeks. Is this odd?

It had a SG of 1.061, and had quite a bit of honey in it, so could that be causing the lengthy ferment?

I had been planning on doing 1 week primary, 2 secondary, 3 bottles, but it seems I may have to adjust that schedule? I was really hoping to have it for xmas, but what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Only way of knowing is by checking the gravity but I'd not move it unless it settles down. If it's gonna take a while then I'd think about racking it again if there's a trub build up but that'll delay it further.

Honey takes a while to ferment out completely I've heard. This could be your bane. In any case, this holiday ale (if spiced) probably isn't going to be at its best by christmas. :)

Oh well, there is always christmas in july right? :)

Ya, honey takes it's sweet ass time to ferment out. I use it in my grand cru and it takes forever to stop!!

Honey is slow stuff. Did you use any nutrient to help the yeast get started? You'll just have to wait until it stops, which means it will be rather raw for the holidays.

Back