Christman Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
Im thinking about whipping this up in the next week or two. Id love to hear anyones thoughts or suggestions on the recipe.

5.5 gallon batch

Extracts
1 lb Dark DME
5 lbs Light DME

Steeping Grains
.75 lbs Crystal 40L
.5 lbs Carapils
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25 Roasted Barley

Hops
2 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1 oz Liberty @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 5

Spices all added with 5 minutes remaining in boild
1 stick Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Allspice
3 Cloves

Yeast
Safale US-05

Brewers Friend predicts:
OG at 1.050
FG at 1.014
ABV 4.71%
IBU 47.81
SRM 20.08

The IBU seems high to me for some reason. Also I may change some of the spices if anyone can recommend anything different that may work.

I'd skip the 30min hop addition and not sure how the cascade flavors will meld with the spices. Might be worth while to look at some other recipes and see how they hop their spiced ales. My guess it would be just bittering hops and no flavor / aroma because you're relying on the spices to shine through.

I'd skip the 30min hop addition and not sure how the cascade flavors will meld with the spices. Might be worth while to look at some other recipes and see how they hop their spiced ales. My guess it would be just bittering hops and no flavor / aroma because you're relying on the spices to shine through.

+1
and 2 oz of NB? Do you really need that much to counter the malt flavor? Seems like a lot of bitterness to me. Again, for me, it would be spice and malt that I would want to come through.

What if I knocked down the NB to 1 oz @ 60 and .5 Liberty @ 10?

If you have brewer's friend to build your recipe then play with it until you get the IBU's you want. 30 IBU's is near the top for a brown ale with most in the 15-20 range, at least for a typical southern brown ale. I would bet 1 oz for bittering would be closer. A little Liberty for flavor or aroma is not an issue. Enjoy!

With 1 oz of NB @ 60 and .5 oz liberty @ 10 my ibu is just over 20. I think ill go this route.

Back