Chopping corny keg gas dip tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to cut the gas dip tube flush with the top of the keg?
I always have more beer in the fermentor and like to get a good fill in the keg. Seems the dip tube just gets in the way and makes it harder to purge the keg. Is there any reason I shouldn't chop the dip tube on all my kegs?
Also what is the best method? I have an angle grinder with cutting disc. Don't have a vice but could rig something up with some G clamps.

I cut all of my gas tubes to ~ 1/2", about the same length as the threaded riser.
A couple of chunks of soft pine to hold the tube in a bench vise, then lopped off the end with a Dremel and cutting disk.
A bit of dressing with a cone shaped stone and they were good to go...

dip_tube_02.jpg

Cheers!

The pic above could be one of mine pictures. I also use a dremel to cut them, as long as you get the gas into the keg I see no need to have it stick down into the beer itself. It elimiates back-crawl of beer into the gas-line if you're unfortunate and end up having higher pressure inside the keg than in the line.

Back