Choosing Hops to grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
A buddy of mine wants to grow some hops, just because he likes growing stuff, so I told him I would help choose which ones (for my own benefit of course :D ) I really like brewing IPA's, love the bitterness, and the aroma (DFH 60min is my staple beer). I called and got a list of rhizomes they have available, so if you guys could help me choose maybe 3 or 4 that would go good in an IPA, that would be awesome.

Centennial
Chinook
Fuggles
Glacier
Golding
Hallertauer
Horizon
Nugget
Tettnang
Willamette

I'm leaning towards: Centennial, Chinook, Glacier, and Willamette.

What would you choose?

I did some research in the growing forum, but I thought it would be better to ask the question here anyway.

It depends on where you live.

Talk to someone in a local brewing club or at your LHBS. They can tell you what grows best in your area and you can adjust your list from there.

Tom

It depends on where you live.

Talk to someone in a local brewing club or at your LHBS. They can tell you what grows best in your area and you can adjust your list from there.

Tom

Yeah, sorry I should have posted that, my buddy lives in a suburb of Chicago.

I will be asking at my LHBS, but I wanted some other opinions from you guys.

You ain't really an IPA drinker, because if you were, your first choice for growing would be Cascades.

On the other hand, Cascades is a freaking weed and once it's in the garden, it stays in the garden.

100% Nuggett makes an amazing fresh hop IPA.

I think your four choices are perfect for IPA's. I'd try to see if you could get some Cascades too.

You ain't really an IPA drinker, because if you were, your first choice for growing would be Cascades.

On the other hand, Cascades is a freaking weed and once it's in the garden, it stays in the garden.

I am an IPA drinker, and Cascade would have been my first choice, but unfortunately, it isn't available at my LHBS for some reason.

I will try and order some Cascades online

Fuggles and East Kent Goldings are the classic IPA hops. Your selections are good for an American-style IPA (of which DH60 is an example).

I would plant Centennial, Columbus,Chinook, & Saaz. Saaz doesn't really fit the IPA bill, but I'd love to always have some around.

Grow everything you can, but if you have to limit yourself to 4 and are a IPA fan these have all been said, but here goes.

Centennial
Cascade
Magnum
Summit
Simcoe
Nugget
Galena
Amarillo

These will give you a nice variety for IPAs but you will just have to wait a couple of years before you can use them.

I'm from the Detroit area and have had very good luck growing Nugget and Centennial. I also planted Magnum, but it isn't producing near the crop as the others. Nugget and Magnum would both be good candidates for an IPA.

Tom

100% Nuggett makes an amazing fresh hop IPA.

Word on that. How could Cascades be missing?

I personally think it really depends upon the place U reside. Try having some discussion with local clubs. Most of ur queries will be solved. Or else try getting some Cascades too.!

Grow everything you can, but if you have to limit yourself to 4 and are a IPA fan these have all been said, but here goes.

Centennial
Cascade
Magnum
Summit
Simcoe
Nugget
Galena
Amarillo

These will give you a nice variety for IPAs but you will just have to wait a couple of years before you can use them.

I didn't think that Amarillo was available to the public, did this change? Is it available?

First of all, thanks for all the help! Here is what I purchased:

From LHBS:
1 Chinook
1 Golding
2 Fuggle
(wanted 2 of each, but they ran out)

From Freshops.com:
2 Centennial
2 Cascade

That's a great set of hops. If you add a couple continental/noble varieties (Saaz, Tettnanger, Hallertau) and Northern Brewer, you'd have almost everything you need. Maybe Magnum.

Back