Choosing first kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HazyBeer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for my first kit. I'd like to make 5gal batches of double NEIPA. I'll start with extract but hope to progress to all grain. So far I am considering the two below. Any others I should look at? Any opinions on which is the best? Should I consider a different kettle anticipating going to all grain?
Deluxe Homebrew Starter Kit
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit?variant=12126153048108Premium Home Brewing Kit
https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-home-brewing-kit.html
Thanks!

The MoreBeer kit is definitely the better choice of the two, since it contains a pot (big enough for all grain - but still a little small for full volume BIAB of 5 gal batches), hydrometer, and wort chiller that NB does not include. NB includes a secondary fermenter that you do not need. Also glass carboys are much more dangerous than the PET fermenter included in the MB kit.

A bit of unsolicited advice: start with recipes simpler than NEIPAs. All the hops make them extremely sensitive to oxidation during post fermentation handling, which causes rapid flavor degradation. Look for threads on HBT about problems people have getting good results with this style of beer. All the hops also make these some of the most expensive beers to brew. If you start with NEIPAs, you run the risk of getting less than satisfying results, which may dampen your desire to brew your own beer. Having success with simpler (and cheaper) styles will enhance your enthusiasm for brewing, and also build up your skills. You can then take on NEIPAs with a greater chance of success.

Brew on :mug:

Really can’t add anything to what @doug293cz said. Once you factor in a kettle, immersion cooler and hydrometer i addition to the Northern Brewer kit your well above the morebeer kit price.

If you like IPAs, start with an extract SMaSH. Single malt, single hop. Very easy to do and very tasty results.

I wasted money on a kit once and then within 6 months I had replaced virtually everything in the kit with better equipment or with equipment that would work better for me. If you are going to buy a kit it might be better to just buy a cheap one to learn from. The other option is to buy and thoroughly study John Palmer's Homebrewing book and you can probably put together a good list of equipment that would last you longer (and may not even cost much more).

Everyone above basically said what I was going to say. In retrospect, if I would have studied/prepared more, I would have snagged some great deals on all grain equipment (which could also be used for extract initially) from CL and similar local sale spots. I started off with a Midwest Supplies kit, which included a glass carboy I've used like...maybe a couple of times. I then had to graduate from a six gallon kettle, build a mash tun, etc. Knowing what I know now obviously, I can honestly say I've seen three CL postings locally that had what I'd want now...for cheap!

As in all things, start simple and build to the more complex as you learn. Usually brown ales, porters and stouts are easier to learn on and more forgiving rather than all the nuances of double IPAs.

I tossed all my glass carboys in the recycling bin. Go online and check out the huge hand slices and stiches sometime. As a purist you might only consider glass, but I'm more practical. I need the use of my hands, PET works fine. Also most new glass carboys are produced overseas at low cost, and can have thin walls making them prone to breakage. They aren't your Grandpa's thick handblown carboys from the 1930's as they were produced for rough handling and water delivery. The new glass stuff is too thin.

Last edited:
The MoreBeer kit is definitely the better choice of the two, since it contains a pot (big enough for all grain - but still a little small for full volume BIAB of 5 gal batches), hydrometer, and wort chiller that NB does not include. NB includes a secondary fermenter that you do not need. Also glass carboys are much more dangerous than the PET fermenter included in the MB kit.

A bit of unsolicited advice: start with recipes simpler than NEIPAs. All the hops make them extremely sensitive to oxidation during post fermentation handling, which causes rapid flavor degradation. Look for threads on HBT about problems people have getting good results with this style of beer. All the hops also make these some of the most expensive beers to brew. If you start with NEIPAs, you run the risk of getting less than satisfying results, which may dampen your desire to brew your own beer. Having success with simpler (and cheaper) styles will enhance your enthusiasm for brewing, and also build up your skills. You can then take on NEIPAs with a greater chance of success.

Brew on :mug:

I was afraid that IPA's would be hard, but they are my favorite. Thanks!

I wasted money on a kit once and then within 6 months I had replaced virtually everything in the kit with better equipment or with equipment that would work better for me. If you are going to buy a kit it might be better to just buy a cheap one to learn from. The other option is to buy and thoroughly study John Palmer's Homebrewing book and you can probably put together a good list of equipment that would last you longer (and may not even cost much more).

Yes I need to do some reading. Any other books I should read?

Wow looks like How To Brew is online. Welcome to How to Brew - How to Brew Perfect for a rainy day like today.

It is, but just be aware that it's not the most recent version. That's the first edition from (I believe) 1999, fourth edition is from 2017. It's a great place to start, but I'd recommend getting the newer version when you can, there's some updated info in there.

Wow looks like How To Brew is online. Welcome to How to Brew - How to Brew Perfect for a rainy day like today.

In the past few years, I've been on the fence about recommending the original (online) version. Homebrewing has come a long way since then.

FWIW, I think the latest version is available on Amazon for kindle for under $15. And of course the hard copy is available for a little more.

Thanks again for your advice! After reading most of the latest edition of How To Brew I ended up just getting an 8 Gallon kettle online for $50, a bucket for fermenting with an airlock, bottling bucket, siphon, spoon, hydrometer and thermometer from Karps Hardware, a local brew supply store. For my first brew I used a BrewersBest Imperial Pale Ale kit but added 1/2 lbs of chocolate malt and dry hopped with 2g of Cascade hops. It came out better than my wildest expectations!

Attachments

• 1stBeer.jpg
    1stBeer.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
Congratulations. It goes completely against American culture though to learn first and buy second. Great job.

Latest posts

Back