Choosing Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyclarik

Reaction score
This is my first time using glass bottles. As money is a limited resource, I could not buy all of the bottles. Instead I canvased for old bottles, all of which were twist off bottles.

I have seen people declare their hatred for twist off bottles, prefering the pop tops instead. I can understand why this is the case as it is likely easier to ensure a good seal on a pop top. However, I also have seen people say that they do not generally have problems with twist off bottles. I have not seen anybody examine both types and explain what can be done to make both types work (Do specific caps produce a better seal on a twist off than other caps? Do certain cappers create a tighter fit than other cappers? If the answer to both of these is no, how loose can I expect newly capped bottles to be? Does tightening the cap after capping have any merrit?)

Think about the spiral thread on a twist top bottle, and how a crown seal is actually going to close that up so the CO2 doesn't just leak out.

Yeah, people claim they've successfully capped twist offs, but I bet the results aren't as consistent as using a proper bottle.

Where are you located? I still have around 10 cases of sanitized proper bottles I'm inevitably going to give away...

Cheers!

Back