Choices for new basement bar... HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperypick

Reaction score
Hi all,
We need to get a decision to our contractor this week and I'm having trouble making the decision: Keezer or Fridge?
Simple question, but there are factors involved:
The only place either will fit is in the corner of the bar area, with cement walls on the left and rear, and a sink/cabinet on the right. The wife wants something that will fit under the counter, so my original thought was a freezer on casters. The issue there is will the freezer overheat/burn out? The folks at the appliance stores won't even touch that question because of the modifications involved in making a freezer into a fridge. What do you guys think?
I've seen a couple of threads that actually compare freezer vs. fridge, and it seems like most folks actually prefer freezer. My wife thinks a fridge will make our nice new bar look like a kitchen, so she's really not into that.
I think the ventilation is the biggest question here... So... Any opinions?

I think as long as it's not pushed up tight against the wall it should be fine. Just leave about 3 inches space behind it so it can breathe.

Back