choice of grain amounts in a partial recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoross

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made my first successful partial mash the other week, and it turned out great. I followed a recipe, and now I'd like to try my own recipe (with your help of course). Recipes in extract were easy- use beersmith, add some extract, add some hops, drink.

With partial mash brewing, I can keep adding things in beersmith until I reach desired characteristics, but how does one balance the proportion of ingredients? I'm creating it for now as an all-grain recipe, then I'll replace with some extract once I know what I'm doing.
Is there a rule of thumb like "3 parts 2-row to 1 part specialty grains" or something?

I'll motivate this with the beer I'd like to make
http://21st-amendment.com/beer/back-in-black
Based on my old style of recipe-making, I kept adding things until I hit their characteristics:
8lb. 2-row (rahr if I can find it)
3.25lb. munich
1lb. debittered black
1lb. crystal 40L
+ various hops

This ended up about 1.070, 39.1SRM, 66.2IBU, but I really don't know what I'm doing. What step did I miss in creating this, or what do I need to think about when choosing amounts?

Also, a side question - Do the type of grains affect the temp you should mash at? Or is it solely based on how thick or thin a beer you want?

Back