Chocolate Vanilla Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie0202

Reaction score
I decided to make Chocolate Vanilla Mead....its more of an experiment I guess.

I utilized 2 gallons of Water
9 lbs of Honey organic
6 oz of Giordelli Chocolate Cocoa cooking powder
9 vanilla beans slit
Pastuer Champagne Yeast

It's a 2 gallon batch but I used 6 TSP of chocolate powder, not 6 oz.

But I want it to finish sweet hence the 9LB?

I will look up the gravity when I get home, I believe it was around 1.100, it was 24 Brix, I remember that much.

I just honestly put the powder in a santized carboy and racked the mead over it. I am going to measure 6 tsp of cocoa powder and determine how much that is in oz and add the correct amount when I get home.

I was just curious because recently there have been a lot of discussion on efficient ways of getting the cocoa powder into a decent suspension/slurry as opposed to just clumpy/gloppy floating on top.

Once I get my maple bourbon acerglyn going I think the next batch may be a chocolate vanilla

Gravity was 1.101, 5 oz of cocoa is a lot, not sure I think I will add it and give it a stir with my wine stir drill deal

9 vanilla beans sounds like a lot to me, I would have thought 2 or 3 would have been enough, but my vanilla meads haven't been tasted yet so not sure how much you get from one bean yet.

I don't know either, regardless I will rack in 4 weeks. Then probably do a 3rd rack after 4 weeks then let it bulk age for 2 years.

Latest posts

Back