Chocolate strawberry chile pepper mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchbox201

Reaction score
Ok so I've made a few meads befor most of them are show meads to get down the process and learn a few tricks along the way. A few months ago I made an orange vanilla mead that turned out fantastic. Now I am moving on to making some of the odder meads. This just went into the bucket Monday
5 lb clover honey
1/3 of a bar semi sweet baking chocolate
1 lb strawberries washed and purée d
1 dried ancho Chilie seeded
1 dried jalano Chilie seeded
Water to one gallon mark
Ec-1118 one pack
Blended with a paddle mixer till mixed

I plan on adding more jalano peppers after a few rackings for more of a kick

The chocolate was pureed with 1/3 of the strawberries

Oh and the yeast energizer and food for a one gallon

I'd be careful of the chilli's, they can easily become overpowering. I made a ginger beer with a small birdseye chilli without the rind (white bit?) and the seeds, and it's now so hot that you can't drink a full bottle of it let alone half a glass. That being said, I've heard that the chocolate does tone it down a little bit.

Well I pull the seeds out because that is where most of the capsasin is and is what causes the heat and I'm using dried peppers instead of fresh to cut out a little more heat And the chocolate helps as well I make a fudge with the same flavors. What I may do is steep the extra peppers in honey water to re constitute them to bring out the right flavors thanks for the tips

Latest posts

Back