Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading information on this site for a while and learned a lot but I think it is time I need to ask a question or ten.

I just bottled my second beer today. The beer was suppose to be a chocolate milk stout. I kept the beer in the fermentor for 10 days and noticed a lot of the Hersheys cocoa that seemed to settle. Then it was in a bright tank for two weeks and, once again, the same thing: more cocoa "powder" settling out of the beer. Is this a normal occurrence when using a powdered cocoa? With it all dropping out, will it not have much of a chocolate flavor? Would it have been a better idea to use solid chocolate?

I did taste the beer today as I bottled and didn't seem to notice much chocolate or milk flavors, will this start to show as it bottle conditions? What suggestions can you give for chaning this recipe for the future?

Recipe:
5.40# Light DME
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.50# Roasted Barley
0.25# Black Patent Malt
1.00# Chocolate Malt
0.50# Milk Sugar

I put half the DME and milk sugar in at the beginning of the boil after steeping the specialty grains. Eight ounces of Hersheys cocoa (a powder) was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Thank you for your time and help,
oach

It will eventually all fall to the bottom. It does that! along with yeast and other goodies, like hops!

Back