Chocolate Stout Recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasBuhbuh

Reaction score
so i just came across this recipe for a chocolate stout (extract with steeping). since im obviously not too experienced with how each ingredient impacts the brew, what do you guys think?

6.6 lbs Unhopped Dark Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Amber DME Grains
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Black Patent Malt
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
(60 min) 2 oz Northern Brewer, 1 oz Chinook
(30 min) 1oz Cascade
(10 min) 1oz Fuggles
1/2 lb Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate (start of boil)
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 tsp Gypsum
2 packages dried ale yeast

I'm getting ready to do something similar, here's my thoughts:

Don't boil the chocolate that long. It will end up kind of burnt/bitter from what I've read, add it late or in secondary.

Don't use sweetened chocolate, the oils can really make the beer screwy and the sugar will most likely ferment out. Use extract or cocoa powder.

Add what you think is a conservative amount of chocolate flavoring initially, and when it's time to bottle/keg if you need to add more you can. Not so easy to remove it if you go overboard.

I disagree. That looks exactly like the recipe I have poster (except for the hops), I'm guessing you found it from the same place I did (check my drop down). This beer came out GREAT! It was one of the first I made about a year ago, and we have one bottle left we've been saving. It really was a big hit. Brew it, you'll love it.

hahaha so it is the stroke of midnight....serves me right for not looking into things further...

also, thanks for the comments..

Back