Chocolate Stout not force carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshna

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

so I had my finished 5%ABV Chocolate Stout sat at 3C for 7 days at 0.6bar and when I poured a glass it foams but its rather flat in the glass. I upped the pressure to 1bar for 2 days and it's not much better. Does anyone have an idea? The FG is a high at 6.7P, in case that makes a difference. Is it the low cost temperature? Could it be the party keg tap on a 1m tube? It's sat in a fermzilla.

Matt

If way too cold you aren't going to visually see near the same carbonation effects you will see at a more proper serving temperature. What ever your preference is for that.

I do an imperial chocolate stout that finishes around 26-28 points that - before I switched to beer gas - took twice as long to carbonate using chart pressure than nearly everything else I brew, that finish below 16 points and which typically take a little over 2 weeks to reach 2.4-2.5 volumes.

Since I switched to 70/30 beer gas and a true stout faucet a decade ago I only carb to 1.2~1.4 volumes which actually happens fairly quickly as the fermentation finishes with around .8 volumes already in the stout.

Anyway, "FG matters", and the higher it is the slower the beer to reach equilibrium...

Cheers!

Thanks for the answers. I'm nervous about about this one, as it's being bottled for a competition and I have to send it by Thursday this week. A flat beer won't win me anything. Finger crossed

Thanks for the answers. I'm nervous about about this one, as it's being bottled for a competition and I have to send it by Thursday this week. A flat beer won't win me anything. Finger crossed
This is exactly the scenario where a Blichmann quick carb or home made equivalent would come in handy. I use it for all comp beers so I can carb the day after Kegging and let them settle in. Highly recommend. You can try a burst carb by shaking and rolling it around with the gas on. And definitely get a balanced beer line for sampling. If thats not done right it can degas and taste flat. Are you counter pressure filling? Bottle some off as you go to check if needed. Good luck!!!

I'm still sat on the yeasts cake, so no rolling. Blichman stuff is hard to get in Germany. I do have a counter pressure bottle filler at least. How do I figure out a set up for a balanced sampling line? Thanks for the wishes. I'm nervous

Back