Chocolate Stout Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmartucci

Reaction score
I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch Chocolate Stout last night.

After pitching the yeast and attaching a blow off tube, I left the wort over night.

When I woke up this morning I expected to find Kraeusen in the carboy or residue escaping through the blow off tube, similar to Ales I have made in the past. Unfortunately I didn't see either. I am worried that fermentation might not be taking place.

Should I be worried? Does Chocolate Stout fermentation look different than an IPA ?

I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch Chocolate Stout last night.

After pitching the yeast and attaching a blow off tube, I left the wort over night.

When I woke up this morning I expected to find Kraeusen in the carboy or residue escaping through the blow off tube, similar to Ales I have made in the past. Unfortunately I didn't see either. I am worried that fermentation might not be taking place.

Should I be worried? Does Chocolate Stout fermentation look different than an IPA ?

Lag time up to 3 days is normal.
If you used liquid yeast did you make a starter.

I didn't make a starter, but you are totally right about lag time. After a day everything looked great.

For next time, where do you recommended looking up info for making a starter?

nmartucci said:
I didn't make a starter, but you are totally right about lag time. After a day everything looked great.

For next time, where do you recommended looking up info for making a starter?

It's only if you used liquid yeast there are several threads here regarding it. Basically you boil water and dry malt extract allow to cool to room temp pitch vile of liquid yeast and allow to ferment , you can then increase the size of starter with more extract and water mixture.

If your using dry yeast you can A. Just sprinkle or B. Rehydrate as per instructions on packet .

Boil a cup of water cool to 70f then pitch dry yeast allow to sit I wait 30 minutes and add a scoop of wort then wait another 15 then pitch.

Latest posts

Back