Chocolate Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife wants a raspberry beer. She likes wheats above all beers, but not very hoppy or with that malty taste. She likes chocolate, but she doesn't like stouts or porters. She doesn't want a melomel. Too much honey flavor. And she isn't the least bit picky. ;)

Ever make a chocolate wheat with cocoa nibs or chocolate, but not the grains typically used to make a chocolaty flavor?

I JUST ordered cocoa nibs to do a chocolate wheat. Im thinking base recipe plus 2 oz nibs in secondary.

4# 2-row
4# white wheat
.5# munich
1 oz cascade @ 60 mins
1 oz cascade @ 10 mins

I think I need cocoa powder in the last 10 mins of boil too, thats why im on the forum right now. :)

Sweet! I've never used nibs or cocoa powder in a beer. I've never set out to make a chocolate beer at all. The stouts that had a chocolaty flavor got it from "chocolate" grain and it was as a subtle background flavor.

Off to read myself :mug:

A chocolate raspberry wheat sounds really good. I have a lot of wild raspberries that grow in my yard, always looking for something to make with them. Might try this in a couple batches. Maybe an American Wheat with 2 lbs. of raspberries and 3 oz. of cocoa nibs in secondary for 10 days.

You might try some Briess Midnight Wheat Malt. They say it doesn't have the bitterness of other chocolate malts. Stone has used it in a couple of their limited edition brews and it makes for a pretty silky texture. If you are looking for a full bodies sipping beer that's got good chocolate flavor, that stuff should put you on the right track.

Back