Chocolate Raspberry Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomisman

Reaction score
Here is a recipe that I came up with for a Chocolate Raspberry Milk Stout. What so you guys think? This is my first stout.

Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.097 SG
Estimated Color: 42.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.3 %
4 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.3 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 5.3 %
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 8.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 13.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 9 -
6.00 lb Raspberry Extract (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Flavor 10 -

So a couple things.

I don't think that you need 4 lbs of crystal 60 to get what you want from it. What are you looking for in that? I would say drop it to a single lb.

You are probably ok with the chocolate malt but you may be getting more coffee flavor from that. You could even look into finding chocolate wheat and kill two birds with one stone and just use 2 lbs or so. Just a thought.

I usually only use .5 lb of lactose. If you use the whole lb, I dont think anything would be horrible but 8 oz gave me nice mouthfeel and sweetness.

You should look into adding unsweetened bakers chocolate if you want to get a more chocolate taste. Also I'm hoping that you are not using 6 lbs of raspberry extract and using 6 lbs of fruit or fruit puree. That much extract would be gross. Also extract is usually gross and tastes fake to me anyways.

Just my 2 cents. Everything else looks good.

Just seen the 6# extract and threw up a little in my mouth :eek:

I'm looking for a good next project and this sounds like it. But I think I'll try maybe 3# fruit.

Just my 2 cents

In mine, I did 6 oz of raspberries for a one gallon side project and it turned out great. Scale it up to 30 oz (or 2.25 lbs) for five gallons.

Back