Chocolate raspberry milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
Any feedback on this recipe? There's a lot going on, but I think chocolate and raspberries pair well and I do like a milk stout.

Chocolate Raspberry Milk Stout

Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer OG: 1.091
Type: All Grain FG: 1.023
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 8.95 %
Calories: 297.47 IBU's: 29.86
Efficiency: 70.00 % Boil Size: 7.98 Gals
Color: 40.5 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gals
Preboil OG: 1.063 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
13.00 lbs 64.20 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
4.00 lbs 19.75 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 60 mins 1.034
6.00 ozs 1.85 % Simpsons Chocolate 60 mins 1.034
6.00 ozs 1.85 % Weyermann Carafa III 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 4.94 % Lactose 60 mins 1.030
1.50 lbs 7.41 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 21.57 Cluster 60 mins 7.00
0.50 ozs 8.29 Cluster 30 mins 7.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.5 dry pkgs Safale S-04 Fermentis S-04

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
6.00 oz Cacao Nibs 14 days Primary
1.50 qt Raspberries 7 days Primary

Mash Profile
Profile Name: All Grain Profile 1

Grain Temp: 70.00 °F Mash Tun Vol Loss: 0.50 Gals
Grain Absorption: 0.13 Gals/lb Tun Temp Loss: 4.50 °F
Cooling Shrinkage: 4.00 % Kettle Trub Loss: 0.50 Gals
Hourly Boiloff: 1.50 Gals/hr

Mash Steps:
Infusion 60 [email protected]°F
Add 24.06 qts water @ 171.9°F
Batch Sparge
Sparge 19.86 qts water @ 170.00 °F

Water Profile
(none)

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary - long 21 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 74.0°F

Carbonation
Force Carbonation
Desired Vol of CO2: 2.50 Vols
Beer Temperature: 36.00 °F
Required PSI: 10.20
Required Bars: 0.70

Notes
www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.0.9

Sent from my iPad

I only have a few brews under my belt so I imagine others out there can give some actual advice, but I am currently making a recipe for a similar type of stout. The only differences are I am using caramel 80L and I plan on adding 3oz. of cocoa power to the end of the boil and then adding 5oz. of cocoa nibs to the secondary. I am also using a little less oats. But to me the recipe looks good. Sorry I cant give any advice on the taste since I have yet to brew it! Good luck!

Usually 5% - 10% of a grain bill will be oats. So you are right in the middle.

Any updates on this older post? I'd like to hear how it turned out, sounds interesting.

It turned out pretty well. I made a double batch of the base chocolate milk stout. Then did raspberry with half. The raspberry was initially a bit overpowering. So I bottled some as is and some mixed 50/50 with the regular base stout. That balanced out the flavor nicely. But I recently opened one of the original raspberry ones now that it's aged a few months and I am quite pleased with the original. So I guess if I'm looking to serve in short time, I might cut back on the raspberries a bit, otherwise it's good to go as long as it can age for a few months.

The base recipe scored a 36.5 and was in mini-BOS. so So the recipe is pretty solid, just working on raspberry amount. I might try cherries next time.

Glad to hear! I've been wanting to do a dessert beer of sorts for sometime. Do anyone you see a benefit to adding a vanilla bean or two with the raspberry to accent the chocolate?

Lots of things going on with this one, I know, but sure sounds good!

Irishbrewer; sorry for the cross posting between here and the private messages, I will stick to this thread from now on so that other users can keep up.

I used 3 vanilla beans, for some reason I left them off the recipe. I buy them whole. Cut lengthwise and scrape out insides. Chop up the beans and put it all in a small jar with vodka. I usually do this right around brew day, they sit then for the length of fermentation. I add them about 2.5 weeks in and they sit for 3-5 days before I pull them.

I used 3 vanilla beans, for some reason I left them off the recipe. I buy them whole. Cut lengthwise and scrape out insides. Chop up the beans and put it all in a small jar with vodka. I usually do this right around brew day, they sit then for the length of fermentation. I add them about 2.5 weeks in and they sit for 3-5 days before I pull them.

When you scrape out the inside of the bean do you discard the insides?

Can the puree infect the beer? Do you boil or pausterize the raspberries first?

In my experience, if I don't get a pasteurized product, I will blanch them in as little water as possible before adding. However I'm not very experienced at using fruit as an ingredient so that it for what it's worth.

I've added apples and cucumbers to beer successfully by skinning them on a sanitized mat with a sanitized knife, and quickly dunking them in starsan before going into the bucket. I usually tried to let as much drip off as I could.

I've added apples and cucumbers to beer successfully by skinning them on a sanitized mat with a sanitized knife, and quickly dunking them in starsan before going into the bucket. I usually tried to let as much drip off as I could.

Good to know, thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear! I've been wanting to do a dessert beer of sorts for sometime. Do anyone you see a benefit to adding a vanilla bean or two with the raspberry to accent the chocolate?

Lots of things going on with this one, I know, but sure sounds good!

Irishbrewer; sorry for the cross posting between here and the private messages, I will stick to this thread from now on so that other users can keep up.

For me vanilla would be too much. Maybe 1, just to help accentuate the chocolate.

Here was my recipe, scored a 40 at a local BJCP event.

Maris Otter 66.3%
Flaked Barley 6.2%
Midnight Wheat 6.2%
Special B 6.2%
Black Patent 3.1%
Chocloate 450L 3.1%
Chocolate 350 3.1%
Roasted Barley 3.1%

Willamette 60 min 1.5 oz
Willamette 45 min 0.5 oz
Willamette 30 min 1 oz

cocoa powder 8 oz - 5 min boil adition
lactose 6 oz - 5 min addition
nibs 4 oz (secondary, soaked in raspberry vodka)
6.6 lb raspberry puree (secondary)

OG 1.058 FG 1.017, 37 IBU, mash 154. Wyeast 1450.

I'll be brewing it again soon. This time, I'm going to skip the special B, and change the midnight wheat to regular wheat, as the beer is dark enough wihtout it.

Back