Chocolate peanut butter stout round two!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
All grain. I'll post the recipe ASAP. I used a list from allaboutduncan.com. From the samples and the readings it's already better than my first.

Starting gravity 1.06. After three consecutive readings of 1.02 it's done. I'm moving to secondary tonight. Will post pics and recipe later tonight. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407016093.849757.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407016109.575415.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Waiting.... Have been wanting to try something like this for a while, but haven't found a recipe I've trusted to put the time and money into. Let us know how it turns out.

Sorry all for my delay. The beer is amazing! Making a beer float with it now.

5gallon all grain Recipe is as follows:
11.75# 2row base
1.5# chocolate malt
.75oz crystal 120L
.5oz roasted barley
.4oz wheat 2.0L
1.5# oats
Hops
1oz chinook - 60min boil
.5oz spalter - 60min boil
.5oz Mt. Hood - 45min boil
.5oz spalter - 20min boil
Yeast
Safale US-50 one package
During secondary
Add 2oz of coco nibs
Add 3 6.5oz of PB2 powdered peanut butter. You can add more or less depending on your preference.

Primer was one week. Secondary was three weeks. (Roughly).
My OG was 1.060
My FG was 1.015

Where can i find powdered peanut butter? this is something i gotta try

This sounds delicious. I was wondering how on earth you could make this. The powdered peanut butter sounds like it could work, but I never even knew that powdered peanut butter exists. Does it turn into normal peanut butter when you add water or is it more like maltodextrin or the powdered lactose used in beer?

You can buy it at most grocery stores, amazon, or bell plantation directly.

The pb2 is supposed to be a "normal" peanut butter when mixed with water. When adding in to secondary (just powder no water) it cakes at the bottom. Very annoying to clean IMO.

Midwestsupplies sells a kit similar to this. They call it Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz. Yes, Beavr is spelled wrong.

Doing the extract version of it right now. I got the peanut butter powder, PB2, off of ebay.

One thing I definitely recommend is let the secondary site a minimum of three weeks. The longer it sits the better the PB flavor will be. After letting a pint warm up the PB taste is stronger at the finish. The roasty malt flavor is a great compliment to this beer. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409515913.100748.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409515949.717677.jpg

Number40fan, you're correct. That is where I purchased my first round of this beer. Both were all grain brews for me. I've got a buddy about to brew a extract of the same. We bought local this time saved about 10$. What did the pb2 run you on ebay?

That's not much than what I pay. 6$ a jar with tax so that's about on par, for me at least.

Sounds like this recipe turned out awesome. Thanks for the post! I've been looking for similar recipes and would like to try this one. :)

Your specialty grains tho -- looks like less than an ounce of each. Is that a typo?

Also, Amazon sells two big 1lb packs of pb2, and you can mix/match between powdered PB and cocoa powder. If you have prime, it's a pretty sweet deal. They've also got some good deals on other beer ingredients like Vanilla beans, which might go well in a choco/pb stout :)

Back