Chocolate orange porter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
I'm brewing a standard pale ale on Sunday (apocalypse not withstanding), but next weekend I might give a shot at a chocolate orange porter. Got the idea from a local supply store owner.

Here's my problem - I have no recipe or reference point on what to use, so I'm looking to the smart fellas on this forum to give me some ideas.

What I'm shooting for - I like my porters on the dry side. I would want the orange and chocolate to be a little more than subtle however I don't want it sweet. Dry, bitter chocolate after tones with a sharp orange twang, if that makes any sense.

I figure to use grated orange peel - parboiled and into secondary. Probably will add unsweetened chocolate (cocoa) in as well.

How much? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The grains/hops part I'll figure out but it won't be highly hopped.

ryandlf

Reaction score
I wonder if dry hopping with orange zest would add anything to he beer. You might be better off using some sort of extract flavoring though. Interesting altough I have to admit it sounds kind of contradictory to me.

OP
S

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
You know those sucky boxed chocolates that float around on Valentines day that have the orange creams? Think that, sort of - but not sweet.

I'd rather go natural if I can, for no particular reason and I'm looking for proportions. How much peel should I use? How much cocoa?

I know what I'm shooting for, I just have no idea how to get there. Go figure.