Chocolate Orange Hefe-weizen!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krbrumma

Reaction score
SO i made some amber hefe, and originally had 10 gals. Split the batch and i'm leaving half virgin and playing with the rest.

Here's what i've done

I've added
- a bit of DME, about a half cupish... (no idea just felt like re-fermenting/grav.boost)
- 7oz of Chocolate (100% cocoa)
-approx. 1.4 oz of orange peel soaked in
-1 pint of vodka.

I added the DME and Choco together with a bit of water, then orange peel to vodka and shook vigorously for 10 mins. let the vodka sit for about 1 hr. brought the DME-choco up to temp. Let stand, then combined. Then added the combined mixture to the Fermenter... haha Ok lets see what happens! :fro:
:mug:

Also, can anyone answer this Q.

What does a pint of 80proof do to the abv of 5 gallons? (obviously it makes it higher, but to what degree)

I like to experiment :cross:

Interesting! Let us know how it turns out! I for one love the combo of chocolate & orange and can imagine it being good in a hefeweizen!

If you know the abv of the beer and the vodka, it should be possible to calculate the final abv, but I'm not sure what the formula for that is. Google for alcohol blending calculator or something like that!

If my (rough) calculations are correct a pint of 80 proof (40% abv) should raise the overall alcohol content by a little over .5% abv.
.4*16oz.=4 oz. ethanol then 4 oz./640oz.=.625%

Sweet that sounds legitimate. I was hoping it wouldn't affect it tooo much. I don't want a predominate vodka taste. I'll post up in about 2.5 weeks from now for an update and perhaps some pics
:)

Yes UPDATES!

Ok, currently the base beer is going to get judged, BJCP certified. I'll get the results mid may.

The Orange Chocolate is complete and has been a hit! The Orange is a bit tooo subtle but if you have a good palette it'll be phenomenal, and the chocolate is perfect. I ended up having a chocolate milk color which was also pretty cool.

I'll post another update if i get this judged and when the Base beer gets judged.

Back