chocolate oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergoblin

Reaction score
I'm a newbie at brewing and plan on starting an oatmeal stout kit in Oct. I thought I'd add about 6oz of coccoa powder to the wort to add some chocolate flavor. Will this small amount make much difference in taste and ABV?

should give you a good chocolate flavor (could probably even add more depending on how much chocolate you want) but will not affect your ABV - cocoa powder contains no sugars

Here's a good article to take a look at - http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/38-ingredients/316-brewing-with-chocolate

I use between 6 and 9 ounces of fat free cocoa powder in my double chocolate oatmeal stout recipe. People find that the 6 ounces is a lot of chocolate and the 9 is insane. I like 9oz. :D

It really depends on the cocoa powder and what else is in the recipe, I've found.

In my experience, cocoa powder will add bitterness, so I compensate by cutting back on the hops a bit.

Back