Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Critique Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OG 1.07
FG 1.018
IBU 37
SRM 35

I'm going for a balanced stout with a thick mouthfeel. Chocolate forward but not overwhelming, and slightly sweet without so much roast-character that it is bitter or astringent, but enough to be easily perceptible.

10.0 lb 2-Row pale
1.5 lb flaked oats
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
0.75 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb roasted barley
0.5 lb carapils

BIAB full volume mash/no sparge @ 155 for 90 minutes

2 oz Williamette @ 60 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 10 min
6 oz cocoa powder @ 5 min

Wy1084 irish ale

Specifically my questions are: is this an appropriate yeast strain for reaching my FG? and is my hops schedule going to result in a very bitter hops-forward stout?

thanks in advance for the comments!

Ok so after more research, it looks like a lot of folks put vanilla and or lactose in to compliment the flavor of the cocoa.

So now I'm planning to put in 6 oz of cocoa and 6 oz of lactose with 10 mins left in the boil. Does that sound like a good plan? I have no experience with cocoa powder so help is appreciated.

Down the road I may split off a couple gallons of this and fortify it with some vanilla vodka or vanilla infused rum to see if I like the taste.

Back