Chocolate Mint Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smadaus

Reaction score
I made a chocolate mint stout that is currently in the secondary for about 2 months now and has been sitting on some cocoa nibs and straight peppermint tea bags. I tasted it a couple weeks ago and it is very minty and has more of a coffee taste than a chocolate taste. Is there anyway I can dull the mint down and maybe get more chocolate flavor into the beer? Is it saveable or should I dump it? Thanks.

This is why you have to taste often when messing about with unfamiliar ingredients... ;)

Not sure there's much to be done about the mint now, short of blending with something non-minty.

Polaris hops might be interesting for the next time you do this, they are meant to be minty.

On the chocolate front, that's more promising, see this thread on chocolate beers

This is why you have to taste often when messing about with unfamiliar ingredients... ;)

Not sure there's much to be done about the mint now, short of blending with something non-minty.

Polaris hops might be interesting for the next time you do this, they are meant to be minty.

On the chocolate front, that's more promising, see this thread on chocolate beers

Yea I should have added the mint over time and tasted. Definitely will do that in the future. I actually bittered with polaris and was going to dry hop right before bottling if the mint didn't come through. I was actually thinking maybe throwing some chunks or staves from a barrel in there. Do you think that might help? I don't really want to dump it and I don't need the fermenter right now so I will probably try a couple things. Let me know if you have anymore ideas.
Thanks.

To be honest, the only sensible idea I've got that will definitely work, is blending with a non-minted beer.

Otherwise, I have no idea - deminting a beer is not something you have to do every day! But two things to maybe try in small samples might be oxidation - draw off some into a bottle, shake it, leave for a few days and then try it - and adding activated charcoal to a bottle of it. I've no idea if they'll reduce the mint enough without wrecking the rest of the beer, but they _might_ work.

I’ve made one in the past and it was so minty that it tasted like a peppermint patty. The mint flavor did mellow quite a bit over time.

So I have been thinking about this and thought maybe I could add nutella to the secondary to bring up the sweetness and try to cover up some of the mint flavor. I was thinking that would also give it a little more chocolate flavor as well. The only concern I have is that I was going to bottle it so putting sugar like that in the secondary might cause a secondary ferment. Thoughts?

So I have been thinking about this and thought maybe I could add nutella to the secondary to bring up the sweetness and try to cover up some of the mint flavor. I was thinking that would also give it a little more chocolate flavor as well. The only concern I have is that I was going to bottle it so putting sugar like that in the secondary might cause a secondary ferment. Thoughts?

I’m sure it will kick up a fermentation but if you let it sit a few more days it should be fine to bottle. I don’t have anything to add to help tone down your mint flavor.

Yea I talked to someone and they made a good point about Nutella having a ton of oil which will reduce head retention. I am thinking maybe some lactose for body and unfermentable sweetness.

Polaris will not give you mint. I would say its much more of a spicy eucalyptus. Be very careful using it until you are familiar. Can easily ruin a beer.

Back