chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer453

Reaction score
going to be starting a chocolate milk stout extract kit from northern brewers next week. anyone have any little tricks or tips for brewing a stout? this will be my first stout and the will be the first to use my converted chest freezer fermentor on.

I know about soaking the nibs in vodka, what about cocoa powder or vanilla?

Thanks

I always age my dark beer 3-5 months before opening. I would recomend being patient before drinking it, mine always taste better after sitting around for a while.

I've brewed that NB kit 2 times and it is great tasting. I kegged mine and after a Month in the keg it really mellowed out quite nice. The second batch I doubled up on the nibs to try and get more chocolate flavor. The chocolate is really mellow with just the kit ingredients. I put it on nitro and I can't keep the old lady from the tap.

did you rack to secondary, anybody do something like this without racking over? ever just add the Nibs to Primary?

I've tried to reduce that recipe down to a 1-gallon partial-mash batch a couple times and so far it has been decent but I think it can be improved. I didn't feel like the nibs imparted much chocolate flavor, so next time I'm thinking about adding a little melted unsweetened bakers chocolate. Maybe an ounce of roasted barley would make it a little more stout-like, a couple ounces of flaked oats, and if my wife makes some cheese a little before I brew it, I'll probably add some whey.

Oh, and I racked that to secondary and added the nibs at that time.

I've tried to reduce that recipe down to a 1-gallon partial-mash batch a couple times and so far it has been decent but I think it can be improved. I didn't feel like the nibs imparted much chocolate flavor, so next time I'm thinking about adding a little melted unsweetened bakers chocolate. Maybe an ounce of roasted barley would make it a little more stout-like, a couple ounces of flaked oats, and if my wife makes some cheese a little before I brew it, I'll probably add some whey.

Oh, and I racked that to secondary and added the nibs at that time.

I believe that the bakers chocolate contains fats to make it a bar that can be melted and that fat is a head killer. Better to use unsweetened cocoa. It goes in the boil.

I would also up the nibs - go 8 ounces in secondary. The kit gives you four - enough for mild chocolate, but next fall when I do it again, I'll add another pack of nibs - which I soak in VANILLA VODKA and I will also add some pure cocoa at flameout. Not sure the amount though.

thanks for the input-i'll pick up some unsweetened cocoa.

My understanding is these tend to come out a little low on FG. Anyone ever add extra fermentables to increase ABV?

Back