Chocolate Milk Stout yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
What is your go to yeast for a chocolate milk stout?
I'm brewing one this Friday morning and I'm on the fence about yeast. I have 300ml of wlp013 slurry from a ESB that I just kegged and I am thinking about using that.
If I don't use the 013 I'm thinking about us-05 or something else clean and easy to get in the next day or two from LHBS

I would personally use something rather neutral, as you want the chocolate milk flavors to be the most prominent. WLP013 "Provides a complex, oakey ester character to your beer" according to White Labs.

I would go with WLP001, Wyeast 1056 or Safale US-05 to keep things clean.

I'd use Wyeast 1450, Denny's Favorite 50.

It fully attenuates, but enhances malt and has a very rich mouthfeel. So it doesn't leave the beer overly sweet, and has a mouthfeel that I would call almost luscious. It'd be great in a chocolate milk stout (although I personally hate chocolate. :p).

Just going over my schedule and it looks like I won't be able to make a yeast run till tomorrow evening and due to afternoon meetings Friday I have to brew that morning. Sat and sun are booked too.
So I'm thinking I'll get 2 packs of 05 rehydrate and go that route. I'll also up my mash temp to 156-158 to make up for attenuation so that I can keep good mouthfeel in the beer.
Grains are already bought and mixed and I'm looking at a OG of 1.071. Would like to try to keep the alcohol around 6.5 or less some how

We used Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) for our choco/vanilla/milk stout... turned out great.

I was aiming for high 150s but missed the target a bit on the low side and just went with it. It was 152F at the start, lost about 1degF over the hour.

Awesome.
I mashed at 156 and came in a few points higher than planned. Not a bad brew day. Everything smelled and tasted great. Can't wait till this one is finished up and on the gas!

I have a milk stout brewed with wyeast 1469 (west yorkshire yeast), its 14 days old. I took a gravity sample yesterday and it finished 1.024 as opposed to 1.021 target.

I did mahs very high and it is packed with adjuncts so I not suprised. However it is not overly sweet despite using a malt forward yeast because I keep the crystal and lactose relatively low and bittered to 30 IBU's.

Once the chocolate extract goes in I suspect it will be very smooth and drikable without being too sweet.

Its early days but i can recommend that yeast. I have also used US-05 in a milk stout but didn't think it contributed much, as you would expect.

Back