Chocolate Lavender Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
It's been a while since I brewed, but I've been ordered back into service by my neighbors wife. :) They have been bugging me to make a chocolate lavender stout since I started brewing. I've had some time off and I think I'm ready to have a go at this again.

I've been using this for a very tasty, yet simple stout. It was meant to be a base for some experimentation.

7.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked
1.00 lb Roast Barley
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (30 min)
Irish Ale yeast

Makes a tasty beer. I was thinking of adding some dark chocolate to the boil and "dry hopping" with some lavender flowers. I've also been given some lavender infused sugar that I thought might be nice for priming. My question is quantity. And any other ideas about what or how.

I was thinking of getting a bar of Trader Joe's super dark chocolate and throwing that in the last 15 min of the boil. Dry hop with a handful of lavender. Prime accordingly with the lavender sugar. Any feedback is appreciated.

funny thing about this is that i was just working on a chocolate stout...

my recipe is very similar.. so as of right now looks good, i think you should include some chocolate malt tho... and reduce the 1lb roast barley to either .5 or .75 lbs.

as i was reading you can add chocolate up any point after 15min left of the boil as 15 being light in taste all the way up to strong in taste at 0min (if i got that correct)

but overall that does sound interesting....

I've made this beer a couple of times as-is and it came out fantastic. I don't really want to mess with near perfection. :) But the Chocolate malt is an interesting idea.

bigbeergeek said:
Foolish child. He's clearly talking about the base recipe. I'm curious about his use of chocolate and lavender.

Nice fail-check.

Ah, I guess so hahaha... though I don't know if I'd use the word "clearly"!

Ah, I guess so hahaha... though I don't know if I'd use the word "clearly"!

All the posts in this resurrected conversation occurred within a 30 minute time-span on the same day. How could he brew something several times and report "fantastic" results in a single day? Clearly he was talking about keeping his grist the same and wanted input on using lavender and chocolate together in a stout -- an idea I recently came up with myself after visiting a lavender farm...

...ever brew it CrapulencePants?

Back