Chocolate covered WHATTTTT!??!??!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
Yeah its, CHOCOLATE COVERED BACON!

I made a trip up to Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown NY for their massive belgian beer tasting on Saturday. Each person in our group brought some food to share, so I decided I wanted to try to top everyone and made Chocolate Covered Bacon! Penny got the idea from a blog about a month ago, then we saw it made on the food network.

We headed to the supermarket and got 2 pounds of thick cut bacon, 1 pound dark and 1 pound milk chocolate wafers, and chopped walnuts. You bake the bacon on a sheet for like 10-12 minutes at 375°, remove and place on paper towles to cool and dry. Melt some chocolate in a double boiler (we used about 2 pounds). One big problem with common baking chocolate morsels is that they are not tempered. If you heat them over like 91° they will melt at room temperature when cooled back down. This makes for a messy snack. To solve this Penny found out that Wegmans has chocolate wafers in their bulk food section that are pre-tempered. We used this stuff and ended up with a great product! We cut the bacon in half (maybe even quarters next time), dipped them, lined them up on a cutting board covered with wax paper, added nuts, and popped the tray in the fridge. The chocolate held up perfectly, even after sitting out for like 8 hours under a tent.

All in all, it was a total hit! Lots of people were skeptical, but after some reassurance and peer pressure from other tasters all enjoyed it! Most common response was, "Holy **** this is not supposed to taste this good". Heck, some people were so shocked they took pics, sent text messages, and called friends and family on the spot to talk about it! Its a highly recommended snack for your next party! Sweet? Salty? Savory? IDK... its a mystery.
thumbsup8de.gif

Next time, Chocolate Covered Bacon with Peanut Butter on top!!

wow, sounds amazing I will def try, I have done the Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies mentioned here previously they are delicious as well.

After all Bacon is the candy of meats, and chocolate is well candy.

stop being a *****, trust me, and try it. Just make bacon and try a bite with a piece of chocolate if you dont believe me.

stop being a *****, ...

Wow. Relax, it's just Bacon. It's not like I insulted your mother.

I actually have tried chocolate covered insects and was un-impressed. So much that I won't be doing that again. I am glad you like the choco-bacon but it is still my opnion that it's a horrible sounding combo.

Apparently, mixing sweet and savoury is a great way to untrain eating habits and paves the way to obesity. That's the dumbed down version of some scientific mumbo jumbo I read a while back, anyway.

Frankly, knowing that a lot of people in my town will put syrup on bacon and sausages etc. A trip to my local Walmart, where lardasses use te disabled carts because they simply can't support their own body weight confirms this theory. ;)

Bacon and chocolate? It might sound great......but seriously? I like to abuse my temple body, but not THAT much! :D

Then how do you explain thai cooking? All of the dishes i've ever had at thai places are exactly savory and sweet. It's why it's my favorite cuisine.

Yet you don't see many obese Thailanders when you go there. And I bet they eat much more Thai food than I do.

Maybe it's because this country is mostly lazy and excessive that over half of the people are overweight. Do you really need a double whopper to survive? Not really. How about an apple instead of some onion rings...

I've got a gut and it's all because of beer and late night carbs. And I constantly mix savory and sweet. Try vanilla frosting (yes, I use hydrogenated crisco to make it) and pretzels together. it's one of my all time favorite snacks.

and for the record, bacon+anything=good.

I just chalk this up to other weird things at Brewery Ommegang's festival :)) It was fun as hell. I will definately be there next year.

I actually have tried chocolate covered insects and was un-impressed. So much that I won't be doing that again. I am glad you like the choco-bacon but it is still my opnion that it's a horrible sounding combo.

I dont know how chocolate covered insects were even brought up. Bacon makes everything taste better, insects do not. If you want to compare chocolate covered insects to something, lets try chocolate covered raw squid.

It sure doesn't sound like P90X food and Tony may well come to my house about it but that's ok. I bet even just a few grams of lead will weigh him down enough for me to get away. Lets do this!

It sure doesn't sound like P90X food and Tony may well come to my house about it but that's ok. I bet even just a few grams of lead will weigh him down enough for me to get away. Lets do this!

Seriously strangest out of context zombie thread bump ever on here....Can expect nothing less from the mighty Zul'jin....:fro:

Back