chocolate centennial ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
5.5 gallon batch
est abv 9.3
ibus 150
color 25srm

6oz hops threw 90 min boil
90 cent
75 cent
60 cent
45 cent
30 cent
15 cent

4oz carafa 2
4oz chocolate malt
1lb caramel/crystal-150l
1.5lb honey
14lbs palemalt 2 row

mashed at 150 for 90 min

idk what do you guys think ill be pitching the yeast in an hour after it chills

so if anybody cares the wort i took out with the wine theif i tested for og {it ws 1.085} and it tasted like black coffee with alot of sugar
i also added 1 cup light dry malt extract 5 mins from the end

Just so you know, you basically have 5 bittering additions of varying effectiveness and one flavor addition in this beer. After hops have been boiled for 20-25 minutes, all of the nice flavorful aromatics have boiled off, and you're really just isomerizing alpha acid. A 30m addition, is for all intents and purposes, just a bittering addition that provides you with half the IBU of a 60-90m addition. Next time, concentrate your hops after the 20m mark. For your hops, if I wanted a high IBU beer, I would have gone:

2oz 90m

2oz 20m
2oz 10m
3oz 0m

and THEN dry hopped the beer. This is really more of an imperial black IPA than a regular one.

Hey thanks for the input ! That made the the bittering process pretty clear.I will be keeping that in mind for further brews.

What hops are you using? Even with a pretty high gravity, that is going to be a pretty darned bitter
"brown" IPA.

or is cent = centennial? that was registering as "percent" in my head for some reason.

Ha, I'm an idiot. Just re-read the title of the post. Drinkin', ya know?

Hope it turns out swell, check back when you're having a pint!

actually- what yeast are you using and did you use a starter?

Wy'east american ale II 1056 i think , It was from the primary of my last ipa , I washed the yeast , and got 4 pints , the day before yesterday. Yesterday afternoon i made my starter 2 cups water 1/2 cup DME. Today after the starter was sitting for 24 hours the airlock stopped bubbling so i think the yeast ate all the sugar . I pitched the yeast like usual and the airlock started bubbling in the fermenter about 2 hours later.

hey guys i just pulled the beer from secondary and put it into the cony keg,tasted some on my final gravity check 1.01 and it is pretty good. The ABV is a lil much at somewhere in the ballpark of 9% but it was what i was going for.The beer came out alot better than i thought with its got a nice chocolate aftertaste. cant wait for it to be carbed up ! im taking it to a small family wedding tommorow and bottling with the counterpreasure bottle filler hope it makes the 2 hour drive

this beer is great drinkability is nice high alchohal content , good chocolate after taste, took a six pack to my uncles wedding and it was enjoyed by everyone ! i gave a warning it was strong and bitter and served a lil bit in a 4-6 oz glass :mug:

Back