Chocolate and crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
Just "brewed" a batch of chocolate chip cookies with these grains. Added about 2 tbsp of whole crystal malt in place of walnuts. Ground up a combination of chocolate and crystal malts to about 1/3 cup in place of the same volume of flour. My little Alex (my 4 yr old brewing assistant) helped me put them together and sample them. He approved whole-heartedly.

B

There's a number on the Internet. Don't recall where I found mine.

1.5c warm water
1/3c sugar
Pack of bakers yeast
Mix water and sugar till dissolved. Add yeast. Wait until it foams up a bit.

Add the above to mixer with 3c wet grain, pinch of salt, and 1 or 2c flour. Mix.
Add flour to a total amount of 3-5c, until the dough sticks together and isn't too sticky to the touch.
Let rise to around double volume, punch down, shape into desired loaves, place in greased pan or on baking sheet with cornmeal or similar if you wish.
Let rise again,
Bake at 375f for 30-45 min until medium brown on top.

I make a quickbread with spent grain. It's basically a cornbread recipe where the cornmeal replaced with spent brewing grains. Add a little extra flour to make up for the added moisture from the grains.

Oops! Didn't see the flour ingredient in there! :)

I will be trying this next brew!! Thanks!

Yep! If you or others don't want a bit of texture in the bread, you could always hit it with a food processor for a few seconds. Myself, i liked the full size grains.

Back