Chlorine traces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeansberg

Reaction score
So after sanitizing my equipment I can't seem to get rid of all the chlorine smell.

I neglected to rinse/wash the equipment for several days after having it lie in a pot of sanitizing solution - I shouldn't have done that.

The smell sticks to my siphon/racking cane even after repeated rinsings. It is especially evident right after rinsing with hot water.

Boiling should remove chlorine right? Would the rubber and plastic survive boiling for 20 minutes?

The sanitizing solution I got from a brewing webshop. Sodium Dichloro Cyanurat seems to be the molecule containing the chlorine. Would it even boil off?

I haven't really been able to find Starsan or Iodophore or any of the recommended sanitizing agents around here, unfortunately.

sounds like you overdid the concentration of bleach. I would soak everything in a baking soda solution maybe a cup per 5 gallons, don't think boiling is wise with plastic .

edit reread your post do not boil the siphon/racking cane it will not survive it

Ok, thanks. I'll try to keep rinsing and maybe soak it in soda.

Hopefully I can find some other form of sanitizer. Chlorine is nasty ****.

What is the scientific basis of the baking soda method, by the way?

Might it be wise to sanitize the equipment with bleach yet another time, following the principle that like dissolves like? What about using vinegar?

Campden solution will chemically eliminate chlorine. Homebrew/wine shops will sell it.

One tablet will treat 20 gallons of mash water.

sodium or potassium metabisulfite

Don't use if you are sensitive to sulfites.

Back