Chlorine Crystal Buckey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Scored a couple 10 or so gallon chlorine crystal buckets from the local pool guy. The lids don’t have any o-rings, and I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any issues with no o-ring in there lids? I’m thinking it’ll be one less crevice to clean, and CO2 should form a blanketing layer over the top of the beer anyway. I wanted to try these buckets simply because cleaning out my snake after fermenting was not the easiest since I haven’t modified it.

You don't insist on food-grade buckets?

I was in a similar situation, as my bucket doesn't seal unless it's wet. It was a few brews before I realized I could make it close. My bucket always had some positive pressure inside, since I could see the water levels in my S-airlock were not quite even. The pressure never built up enough to show airlock activity, though. As long as there is a hint of positive pressure inside the bucket, oxygen and contaminants aren't really going to be getting in.

If there is no pressure at all, there will be air exchange. A CO2 blanket doesn't last more than a few minutes, so the protection will be minimal. But if you can see pressure, nothing is flowing in.

I have a pool and have similar buckets.....even after much rinsing usage and years passing they still have a chlorine odor.

Back