Chlorinated pool water through chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
So I have this Chill Wizard which is basically a plate chiller on steroids. Works very well. Living here in AZ my hose water (which I'd run through the plate chiller is 67 degrees.). My pool water is currently 50.2 degrees. If I ran the pool water through the plate chiller, does anyone see any issues with this? I figure if I can run water that cold through my wort would chill down much faster.
Thoughts?

Assuming your chiller's plates and plumbing are stainless steel... Different grades are less or more resistant to chlorine caused corrosion. So you might want to look that up for the grade used in your chiller and compare with the chlorine ppm of your pool water.

That said, it may not really matter, given the short amount of contact time, and assuming a rinse with fresh (not pool) water after cleaning. But I though it should be mentioned.

Back