Chipotle Capsicumel Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOrange

Reaction score
I am a noob when it comes to mead making and have been pondering the idea of a chipotle capsicumel. I only really want to do a 1 gallon batch so if its terrible i didn't waste a ton of money. I'm really just wondering if anyone has done anything similar, and if so, how did it turn out. I was thinking of using a sweet mead recipe so that it would kind of balance the smokey hotness of the chipotle, what do ya think? Any advice or input would be awesome.

Back in Sept I started a Habanero mead 1 gallon, I used a med sized Habanero out of my garden weighing in at 7.7 grams. I used 2.75 pounds of honey BC #1 gold. I just sanitized the out side of the pepper and cut in half then pitched to the primary. I used lalvin EC-1118 and the OG was 1.095 so that puts it around 12.5 ABV. I tried it today when racking it to the secondary, It was not to hot, but def had some nice heat and had some nice pepper flavor notes to it, it will finish dry due to the yeast but I find its easier to stabilize and back sweeten to your preference.

All in all its turning out to be a nice mead, not to hot and some very nice flavors from the pepper.

Back