Chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
So, I'm looking into adjustments to make to my brown IPA recipe. I thought about chinook, which I remember as "piney," so I googled "chinook hops flavors" and am getting results in the vein of either:

Chinook hops has a strong and distinctive pine-like aroma and flavor that is not common among other varieties. They are also somewhat spicy with a mild fruitiness similar to that of other Northwest hops (Cascade, Columbus, Centennial), though definitely not as strong.

or

(blah blah blah) grapefruit (blah blah blah)

Which is correct?

I got a bit of both when I nrewed a SMaSH with gladfields aurora mult. A local aromstic malt.

At one point i could taste grapefruit along with the bitterness and sometimes in getting the pine spiceness as the beer ages a bit.

I used nz chinook which is ment to be pretty close to us grown chinook.

Chinook is grapefruit juice and grapefruit rind, with some piney and resiny notes. It's actually a pretty great hop for pretty much everything. Underused would be the best description.

I just brewed a Dipa with chinook, galaxy and Denali. The aroma in my house is awesome. I like the spicy piney notes from the chinook.

Once I've finished unpacking and get back to brewing again I have an American brown ale with chinook and simcoe on my short list.

If I had to pick just one hop, it would be chinook. Awesome flavor and aroma, versatile, and one of the cheapest varieties available!

Okay.

So if someone, hypothetically, might be working from the perspective of "hops can have flavors other than grapefruit" (*pauses for suspenseful-dramatic chord*) it probably will just muddy the waters?

So, I'm looking into adjustments to make to my brown IPA recipe. I thought about chinook, which I remember as "piney," so I googled "chinook hops flavors" and am getting results in the vein of ...

Your first quote is from New Zealand, so I suspect what you're seeing is a description of Chinook in the local terroir, whereas the pine-and-grapefruit is pretty typical of US Chinook. It can also present quite differently depending on what yeast you use, as it seems quite susceptible to biotransformation - for instance with T-58 I've found the grapefruit turns to lime, but that doesn't happen with other yeast fermenting the same wort - and other yeast combos can knock the fruit right down, which might account for some of the descriptions of "mild fruitiness".

But yep, it's that classic West Coast look of pine and grapefruit at a first approximation.

It's hard to dissociate pine and citrus as they're tied up in the same metabolic pathways. Chinook remains your best bet for pine, just put it hot side rather than cold side to push it towards pininess, say 10-15 minutes before flameout.

Simcoe can be somewhat similar, CTZ gives a more resinous flavour.

It's hard to dissociate pine and citrus as they're tied up in the same metabolic pathways. Chinook remains your best bet for pine, just put it hot side rather than cold side to push it towards pininess, say 10-15 minutes before flameout.

Simcoe can be somewhat similar, CTZ gives a more resinous flavour.
Thanks, was looking for am answer to the same question. I really like piney beers but am not much into those grapefruit bombs. Will try this in an American Red.

Back