Chinook Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
I have a stout recipe that I want to try and it calls for .5oz of chinook to be added at the beginning of the boil. Big surprise here I am having trouble finding any chinook. Now never having used chinook before I am not quite to sure of a good substitute.

In Palmer's HTB he mentions nugget or galena, both of which I am able to get. In your opinion which would be the better sub. Thanks guys.

If you are just using them for bittering just get something with the same AA's I think chinook is usually in the 11-13% range. Or you can even sub an ounce of something in the 6% range

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
I have a stout recipe that I want to try and it calls for .5oz of chinook to be added at the beginning of the boil. Big surprise here I am having trouble finding any chinook. Now never having used chinook before I am not quite to sure of a good substitute.

In Palmer's HTB he mentions nugget or galena, both of which I am able to get. In your opinion which would be the better sub. Thanks guys.

Either would work just fine IMO in terms of a bittering hop. If you want to stay with a "C" hop (not really important since you just doing a bittering with it), Columbus would also be a good sub, some for sale here

Nugget is a good substitute for Chinook. Galena would also work, but given the choice, I'd use Nugget.

Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up getting some horizon and galena. I couldn't get my hands on the nugget after all. I know that horizon is a half sibling-ish to nugget, so I figured why not.

Back