chinook ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william2010

Reaction score
Have my chinook ipa on its second week in the primary. I added the DME late because they forgot to send it to me. About 6 days late. The guy said it won't hurt anything. Anyways its working about half at through its second week and it still has a large top on it. When my two weeks is up and the top is still there do I transfer to secondary or do I wait. The recipe says two weeks I the primary. I know I'm supposed to be taking Hydrometer readings but I haven't really. Kinda doing it by feel if ya know what I mean. Well any good advice or criticism would be great , good or bad. Doesn't bother me I like others opinions. They help.

I do hope you dissolved the DME in some water and boiled it! Usually, when doing a DME/LME addition to the fermenter, it is done at the time you're going into the fermenter because you're trying to make up a shortfall in gravity. Waiting 6 days to do it could have some effect. I'd definitely let primary go longer than 2 weeks, probably 3 weeks, especially if you're seeing activity. You really need to take a gravity reading to know when it's done.

Who told you it wouldn't matter adding DME 6 days later?

Let us know how it turns out! If you normally rack to secondary, I would follow my normal proceedures.

Yea I definitely boiled it. Did everything clean and right . All the proper way. It won't have a top when its done will it? Could it be done fermenting with a top. Or maybe still fermenting without one?

The northern brewer guy. Said it won't hurt anything to add it late. They forgot to send it so he said I could still brew and then add it when it came in the mail

Bwahahahahahahah!!

Sorry, couldn't help it!! Glad you waited. The "Top" should be dissipated by the time you rack to secondary, if you choose.

just my 2cents worth, i wouldn't bother racking to a secondary ever. Im guessing you are planning on dry hopping? Just do it all in the primary and auto syphon into your bottles or bottling bucket after 7 days

william2010 said:
What you mean by glad I waited?

Wait till primary fermentation is done prior to doing anything else. Once the krausen falls again give it 3 more days before you do anything else. I personally made that kit recently. I left in in the primary for 3 weeks. Dry hopped it in the primary for 7 days and the. Bottled. It's great!

check your gravity, check your gravity, check your gravity! Once it is stable and in your target range, then you can rack/dry hop/bottle.

check your gravity, check your gravity, check your gravity! Once it is stable and in your target range, then you can rack/dry hop/bottle.

This. 2 weeks? 3 Weeks?

Whatever it takes. The krausen may or may not fall when that happens. It usually does, but I've had one or two beers that it never really seemed to fall completely. If it's still there after your beer has reached a stable, and expected, final gravity, then you can just rack by sliding the siphon tube under the Krausen.

This. 2 weeks? 3 Weeks?

Whatever it takes. The krausen may or may not fall when that happens. It usually does, but I've had one or two beers that it never really seemed to fall completely. If it's still there after your beer has reached a stable, and expected, final gravity, then you can just rack by sliding the siphon tube under the Krausen.

Love the Ferris bulldog!

Back