Chinook IPA secondary necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I picked up ingredients for the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA recipe at my LHBS today. The recipe calls for 2 oz. of chinook hops, 1 oz. during brewing, and 1 oz. for dry hopping in a secondary. I don't do secondary, I tend to do 3 week primaries with good results. Does dry hopping specifically warrant a secondary? I have a secondary carboy, I just wonder if I'm inviting problems by dry hopping in a primary.

Shouldn't be a problem. As long as the vigorous part of the fermentation is aroma will stick in there just the same.

I hopped in the primary with good results my last batch. Just wait till your gravity begins to stabilize, Dump in your hops and give it another week or so.

I rarely use a secondary and do a lot of IPA's. My typical schedule is 3 weeks and then add my dry hops to primary for 5-10 days. Just curious, what is the hop schedule for this IPA? 1oz doesn't sound like very much for the entire boil process.

Oops, I needed 3oz of hops for the whole process amd not 2. That's ok, I have some dried mystery hops I picked in the freezer. For the sake of argument we'll call them cascade,as I doubt they're as strong as the chinooks. What part of the process should I save the "cascades" for? Aroma? A cascade/chinook dry blend?

Oops, I needed 3oz of hops for the whole process amd not 2. That's ok, I have some dried mystery hops I picked in the freezer. For the sake of argument we'll call them cascade,as I doubt they're as strong as the chinooks. What part of the process should I save the "cascades" for? Aroma? A cascade/chinook dry blend?

If it is something like cascade or any other low AA% aroma hop, yeah use it for that. You could add it to the boil in the 10 min - 0 min range, or mix it in with your dry hop.

I just brewed this. Primary for three weeks, tossed in the hops and let it sit another 7 days then bottled. Crystal clear coming out of the bottles and taste amazing.

I just noticed another minor oops. For the supplemental grains I purchased .25 lbs of Belgian pils 120 rather than Belgian caramel. I doubt it's going to make that much of a difference in color and flavor. I look at these changes as "happy accidents" as it will lead to a recipe thats more unique and help to act as a "springboard" for creating my own new recipes. Later this summer I'm going to make a brown ale/IPA hybrid of my own recipe, I think this Chinook IPA will be good practice.

Back