Chinook IPA novice brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyboy33

Reaction score
Want to throw a spin on the chinook IPA base xtract Kit from NB. anybody have any spices that worked well and complimented the hoppiness of this brew. If so what when and how
Much did you throw in. thanks gentlemen

Chinook is characterized as herbal and smokey.

When I think smoky IPA, I think adding some wood cubes to secondary, like Beechwood, Applewood, or even Cedar, ala a Cigar City Jai Alai.

When I think herbal IPA, I think lavender or rosemary as a dryhop.

Any of those would compliment the hop character nicely.

Good luck!

tommyboy33 said:
Going to try beechwood in the secondary . Thanks again I appreciate it

Leave it alone. The beer is well balanced and taste great as is. If you are a novice brewer focus on making great beers. If you want to spice something make a Hefe. If you want to oak or wood something make an irish red or stout. Don't start going wildly off style by adding wood to an IPA.

If you hit your gravities and the beer carbs nicely and pours great, make it again with an addition or change. That way you can taste the difference.

Draken, trust me when I say that I'm the friggin captain of the style police, but I wouldn't call wood in an IPA "wildly off style." There are tons of commercial examples of IPAs aged on/in various woods. Cigar City here in Tampa is world class beer that rivals any brewery in the world as far as critical praise and quality beer, and they age all of their award winning IPAs in Spanish Cedar.

Not much can go wrong with wood chips in secondary as long as everything is properly sanatized. This is far from a crazy experiment. Go for it, TommyBoy!

Back