Chinook IPA from Brewmasters Warehouse...little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demens

Reaction score
I've been trying to pick out an IPA recipe and thinking about going with this one. I'm still a notice and got confused by a few things.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/e0670c05/sinister-squirell-chinook-ipa

Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Pilsner 4 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Pils 0 lbs, 12 oz

Briess 2 Row Caramel 20 0 lbs, 4 oz
Chinook Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Chinook Pellets .05 oz @ 10 mins
Chinook Pellets .05 oz @ 1 mins
Chinook Pellets 1 oz @ 0 mins
SAFALE US-05 American Ale 1 ea

Its listed as an extract yet 2 of the bolded ingredients says "must be mashed"?

Another question i had was that the IBU is 26.9 which falls under the 40-70 range for the style. Now i'm not trying to go for hoppy overkill but would like to bring that up if possible. 1 idea i had is that since i'm using a very small pot as it is, might add some of that LME late. Read that this helps hop utilization and adds bitterness. Never done it before so might need some help. Add 15 min before finish? 30 min?

Or am i better off adding another oz of Chinnok and do a 1oz @10min and 1oz @1 instead of 0.5 like the recipe says. It actually says .05 but i think thats a type. Can anyone that knows how to use those recipe calculators help me find what the new IBU would be.

Another thing i'm sort of a bit thrown off by is that Northern Brewer also has a Chinook kit but the recipe is a bit different since it uses 6lb Pislen Malt Syrup and 1lb Pislen DME along with .25 Dry Caramel 120, 0.75 lbs Dingemans Caramel Pils. Not sure what these are, they might be the same but it doesn't seem that way.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Agreed. Those two hop additions should have been 0.5oz. If you are using a 2.5 gallon boil, then your lower utilization is right around 25 IBU, like you said.

I swapped out the mashable grains for some 2.5# DME, and you should be able to steep the Cara-pils & Crystal @ 155-F for 30 minutes just fine.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.64 %
6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 61.54 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Dry Ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

By my calcs, if you only use 3# of LME at the start of the boil, and add the last 3# plus the 2.5# DME at 15 minutes left, you'll about double your IBU's. Near 50 IBU for this recipe.

Of course, if you can boil the full 5 gallons, you'll still get plenty of IBU without the late DME additions... But hey! This IS an IPA right? ;)

Good luck!
--LexusChris

The thing you have to remember is BMW is all user submitted, so that persons recipe is styled to that persons taste...

I like Brewmasters cause i can always find coupons for them plus shipping is cheap. It is a pain to understand the recipes especially since i'm new and many of them have no instructions.

I'll probably give it a shot by replacing the grains with DME like Chris said. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back