Chinook hops small cones..harvested too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My first year growing, grew from a purchased crown and had 3 main bines each 15-20 feet in length. LOTS of growth! Planted late for North Dakota, late May. Things are nearing freezing now at night and I decided to harvest. Many of the cones were starting to brown and there is golden lupilin (looks like pollen) at the tops of the cones, but they are not huge. Most about 1 inch in length , some bigger some smaller. They smell good tho.

My question is, is there any reason I cannot use these hops for aroma, even if they were harvested young...which I am not sure about?

If they were dry, filled with lupilin and starting to brown, then they were ready to pick. The size really isn't that important ;) My fully mature chinook plant puts off cones that range in size from 1/2 -> 4 1/2 inches. The smaller cones are just as good as the big ones for brewing.

+ if you are getting freezing temps, be sure to heavily mulch the plant to protect the crown.

Back