Chimay Clone seems a bit tart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankehoe1

Reaction score
Hi. I am an average level brewer, having done it for a number of years. Definitely not an expert, not a dope either. I have a Chimay clone that i let in the Primary for like, i don't know, 8 weeks. A long time after i should have racked it to the secondary. It was 100% undisturbed during this time however, lid never off, airlock never dry. I have 20+ years experience as a Surgical Technologist, so sterility is second nature to me. I can practically Guarantee it was never breeched during the process. I am a NUT about sterility. I opened the lid today (6 gallon bucket) and was slammed in the face by a cloud of alcohol. There were no visible flora to be seen other than the ring of trub flotsam on the sides of the bucket. With the amount of ETOH present here, i am highly highly highly doubtful anything could have survived bacteriologically. I took a thiefed sample and tasted it. It smelled fine, was clear as air, (with the obvious exception of the gorgeous dark amber hue) and to me, ... I don't know, i just think it was a bit tart. it "bit the back of my mouth" If any of you know what i mean by that. It was a bit, .... "Lambic-ish"? I'll get to the point: Do you think I have anything to worry about? I mean, this is 5 gallons of Chimay we're talking about here. Any moral words of support would be appreciated, but if there's a chance it could be bad, I will try to take it like a man. :( I'm going to go to my room and cry now. thank you.

My version of Chimay Blue has been in bottles for a year now and is just now coming into it's own. The flavor profile has change from when it was bottled for sure. Bottle it, hide it from your self, and relax. You probably be pleasantly surprised at a future date with your handy work.

Back