Chilling the Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bs22619

Reaction score
So I am planning on doing my first all grain batch of beer as soon as i accumulate all of the necessary equipment, as well as completely understand the brewing process. Now i pretty much learned to brew through Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Home-Brewing vol. 3" When he talks about mash extract brewing he doesn't put much emphases, or any that I can recall on cooling the wort as quick as possible before adding it to the fermenter. However he puts cooling the wort at a very high priority when he talks about all grain brewing. So is it more important to do this when one is all grain brewing? And while I have your attention..........Are there any other ways of chilling wort quickly besides a copper wort chiller or ice baths?
-thank you

Even an ice bath wont cool a full boil very fast, you should really have a chiller when you are chilling 5-6 gallons of boiling hot wort.

The cooling is important no matter how you make the wort. At the time of cooling both AG and extract are the same liquid. The wort chiller is mandatory.

Not mandatory, but extremely helpful. It takes me about 45 minutes to cool 5 gallons of boiling wort to 70 degrees in my bathtub. Of course, I have very cold well water (approx 45 degrees in the winter). I have sped up the process by putting a frozen 2 liter soda bottle directly into the wort, but all the crackling scared the hell out of me. Thought the whole bottle might break and then I'd have 2 liters of unsanitized water in my wort. A chiller is very high on my wish list.

BTW, the reason Papazian doesn't mention cooling when talking about extract is because he's doing concentrated boils and dumping it into a fermentor of cold water. That'll cool your wort pretty quickly.

"BTW, the reason Papazian doesn't mention cooling when talking about extract is because he's doing concentrated boils and dumping it into a fermentor of cold water. That'll cool your wort pretty quickly." yeah your right, that makes sense. So its looking like i might want to invest in a couple more items before I can take the plunge into AG brewing.

An immersion chiller with 50F well water can get the wort to 70F in about 10 minutes. It's a good investment in terms of getting a better cold break, and saving time during the brew day.

A basic immersion chiller is fairly cheap to buy/build, and the payoff is absolutely worth it. Rapid chilling inhibits contamination, enhances cold break coagulation, and saves lots of time.

Agreed. You need at least an immersion chiller. They can cool the wort to pitching temp in about 10-15 minutes. I thought about a plate chiller, but didn't want to deal with the 'potential' clogging of the plates from the proteins, etc. in the wort. Go with either an immersion or a counter flow for cooling AG batches.

Latest posts

Back