Chilling and traveling with Kegs who knows?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
So sorry If i keep posting qs that have already been asked a dozen times, I def read the threads just too much info aLL at once. Traveling back to Illinois in a couple weeks and i was wondering what is the best advice for traveling with beer. 1. Should i keg or bottle for the 12 hour drive 2. If i keg should i just prime in keg and leave at room temp until getting there before cooling? 3. If a keg has already been cooled for days would it be ok to bring back to room temp for travel? Thanks yal much appreciation

I've done both, and not had a problem. Just remember that with all that moving the sediment will be kicked up in whatever you bring, so give it time in the fridge to settle out. there should be no problem with just a few temp changes, you just don't want to cool and warm it multiple times. with a keg I would carb it cold, you get a better carb that way. all that being said, I like kegging, it has a smaller footprint than a couple cases of bottles, and as long as you sealed it well you don't have to worry about beer mess from breakage.

I've done both, and not had a problem. Just remember that with all that moving the sediment will be kicked up in whatever you bring, so give it time in the fridge to settle out. there should be no problem with just a few temp changes, you just don't want to cool and warm it multiple times. with a keg I would carb it cold, you get a better carb that way. all that being said, I like kegging, it has a smaller footprint than a couple cases of bottles, and as long as you sealed it well you don't have to worry about beer mess from breakage.

Hey big jerk thanks for the insight. Yes kegging seems to be the way to go. I got my first batch kegged and hooked up to co2 right now. Been at 12 psi for 2 days in the fridge and im ready to try. how long would you recomend to wait before taking a sample cause i just dont want to be disapointed with my first homebrew! Also when you your saying carb it cold is that just with co2 or also if prime keg to condition? Big Thanks Big Jerk

I just recently moved. I'm glad I kegged my brews. You can carb with co2 or priming sugar. If it were me, I would just toss the keg in the fridge on 10-12 psi and let it sit for about a week. Your brews should be ready for transportation. Heck, when I moved, my keggerator was the last thing on the truck and first thing off the truck. I made sure to hook the fridge up and toss the kegs back in it so I could enjoy a homebrew when I was done unloading.

Yeah, I generally do 12 psi for a week to 10 days and it's pretty good. It'll still be pretty flat after a couple of days. or you could crank it to 30 psi for 2-3 days, then bring it down to 12 psi and purge if you want, I've done that before too, but I've found that if I'm just patient my beer is better. it's soooo hard to be patient, I'm trying to build up a pipeline so that I have no choice but to be patient.

I've done the 30 psi trick a few times. I just prefer the slow method, that way I also don't overshoot. My patients are much better than they were when I first started this crazy adventure. When I first started, my beers were in bottles 3 weeks are brewing and I was trying them a week after that. Now I'm at the point where my beers are in the primary for 4-6 weeks and then in kegs for another week or bottles for another 3. Having a large pipeline helps. This might sound a bit extreme, but I'm trying to have 8 batches going at one time. 4 in kegs in the fridge and 4 in fermenters waiting to go into kegs. I feel that with a large pipeline, I will always have something new to put on tap that's had plenty of time to age, then clear up.

I just recently moved. I'm glad I kegged my brews. You can carb with co2 or priming sugar. If it were me, I would just toss the keg in the fridge on 10-12 psi and let it sit for about a week. Your brews should be ready for transportation. Heck, when I moved, my keggerator was the last thing on the truck and first thing off the truck. I made sure to hook the fridge up and toss the kegs back in it so I could enjoy a homebrew when I was done unloading.

haha word up man good loking out man il be sure to do the same.

What is the 30 psi trick? I am going to do my first corny keg today. It is a Rye P.A. What is the best way to carbonate it? I see 12 psi for a week seems to offer good results. Should I stick to that? The beer went through a week in the primary and a week in the secondary that was dry hopped. Also do I need to filter to use the corny keg after dry hopping?

What is the 30 psi trick? I am going to do my first corny keg today. It is a Rye P.A. What is the best way to carbonate it? I see 12 psi for a week seems to offer good results. Should I stick to that? The beer went through a week in the primary and a week in the secondary that was dry hopped. Also do I need to filter to use the corny keg after dry hopping?

From what i understand the 30 psi trick is setting it at 30 psi for a few day until carbonated. I have my psi set to 12 and at about 3 days it is starting to carbonate prolly another 3 will be solid

I would start off with 12psi for a week or so first, then start experimenting with other carb methods later so you have a "standard" baseline to begin with. The urge is always to go faster, but the rule seems to be slower is better.

Latest posts

Back