chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I am buying a wort chiller soon.
I had in mind the 50ft immersion chiller from midwest or northern brewer.
But then I was looking at the convoluted counter flow chiller or the shirron counter flow chiller.
Anyone that has either of these what is the cleaning like and ease of use? Will they really cool much much faster than the IC?
What do you guys suggest?

I have been really happy with my Shirron plate chiller. Super fast! I would caution that you should invest in a kickbutt screen - I went with a hopstopper, but there are some uber-cool low budged methods from members here, too. With a good screen, I have had no problems keeping the chiller clean. I flush with water after wort, first in the direction of the wort, then backwards with sanitizer.

I bought my shirron about 3 months ago.. I absolutly love it.. I can cool 5 gallons in about 8 minutes. Immersion chillers take a lot longer..

There is a little bit of more cleaning involved.. but just be sure to backflush it after you use it, and let it soak in sanitizer for a little while before you use it.. and thats about it..

what about ease of set up and use, i take it it is pretty easy.
I think I will go with that then instead because it is about the same price as the 50ft immersion chiller

and my brew kettle does NOT have a spigot so I would need to syphon somehow, gravity feed it, I have been researching further and I gues it is another 30 to 50 bucks for all the connectors and hoses and what not. and then even more if you want a pump.
Anyone have an exact list on what you all need when you dont have a spigot on your kettle?

I have to suggest that you stick with an immersion chiller if you are unable/unwilling to put at least a spigot on your brewkettle. The use of external heat exchangers is POSSIBLE with over the top racking and using gravity, but it's not the easiest. Now, I love my counterflow but I have a spigot and march pump to help the effort along. If you still want to do it, you'll need a metal racking cane, high temp tubing and you'll have to suck-start the flow on the output of the chiller (or otherwise provides suction with something like a wort wizard) which you can only use if you use glass carboy fermenters. Sanitizing these things are also somewhat more difficult than throwing your IC in the boil for the last 10 minutes. Unless you're doing 10 gallon batches, you will be fine with an immersion variety.

Bobby_M said:
I have to suggest that you stick with an immersion chiller if you are unable/unwilling to put at least a spigot on your brewkettle. The use of external heat exchangers is POSSIBLE with over the top racking and using gravity, but it's not the easiest. Now, I love my counterflow but I have a spigot and march pump to help the effort along. If you still want to do it, you'll need a metal racking cane, high temp tubing and you'll have to suck-start the flow on the output of the chiller (or otherwise provides suction with something like a wort wizard) which you can only use if you use glass carboy fermenters. Sanitizing these things are also somewhat more difficult than throwing your IC in the boil for the last 10 minutes. Unless you're doing 10 gallon batches, you will be fine with an immersion variety.

thats what i thought thanks again!

Back