Chiller upgrade recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I've been using a 50 ft 1/2" chiller for a few years that I really do like. But I've gone all electric and I do a fair amount of hop stands and such. I don't like the immersion coil siting on the element, nor do I like not being able to close the lid. I'm considering the jaded cyclone or their new typhoon mainly because I like the ability to see and clean the innards. Anyone have experience with either or an acceptable alternative?

I have the longer version of the cyclone (https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-jaded-cfc) and love it. I don't take it apart that often to do a thorough cleaning, but use my usual post-brew cleaning regimen with it. I had a traditional CFC prior to this and just liked the idea of being able to see what I was cleaning! In terms of performance it works great... I could do single pass chilling if I needed to, but typically I recirculate back to the kettle for a short time for a whirlpool.

How is your groundwater temperature in the summer if you brew during that time?

I assume you have a pump, in which case, counterflow chillers are pretty convenient, but one will only get you to groundwater temperature. If you add in another, and recirculate ice water, you will be able to get down to pitching temperatures in one pass through the two counterflow chillers.

I built a custom dual stage counterflow chiller that does all of this in one compact unit, but it would be much easier to just buy two counterflow chillers and attach them with tubing.

Thanks for the responses. Ground water in Portland is cold all year round- no issues there. The jaded guy told me that the smaller cyclone was specifically for recirculating. But I am very tempted to get that monstrous typhoon. It's 6 ft long

Thanks for the link and recommendation. It looks very nice and certainly gets rave reviews. One of my biggest concerns is sanitation- both ease and assurance - with any counter flow system.

I use a custom 5 foot long Jaded counterflow and I love it. I recirculate back into the kettle. I'm in Southern California, so in the summer I pump ice water through the chiller. Cleaning takes no time at all.

Back