Chill haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSolutions

Reaction score
I brewed this Belgian, but it came out extremely hazy. It tastes ok. I've never experienced chill haze, but... I've got a new chill plate, and with our city water being 66 degrees, have been chilling to ~80 before pitching... or is this something else? Not sure if you can tell by the picture. :confused:

-T

IMG_1142.jpg

At what stage of the process is this in?

From your post I can't tell if its wort that's just been chilled or post fermentation carb'd up beer.

I'm not aware of any low flocculant Belgian yeasts.

I do "no chill" as do many others and make crystal clear beer. It is possible although unlikely that you aren't achieving complete conversion in your mash and its starch in solution.

Most likely it just needs more cold conditioning and its just yeast. You may be able to clear it up by using Gelatin. Have a look around for steps in that process.

Good luck.

I have now heard of low floc Belgian yeast

There's a Wyeast Belgian strong that's low floc, helps attenuate those big beers keeping the yeast in suspension.

The beer was clear before you kegged?

Back