Chill haze? What chill haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
Yeah so I'm a noob (8 batches) and yes my pale ales have chill haze. I haven't taken any precautions to prevent it; no irish moss, whirlpooling, or gelatin or anything. However, that being said, ales are generally supposed to be served at 50 to 55 degrees and I've noticed that my chill haze forms or disappears at around 45. So in theory, shouldn't chill haze (in ales atleast) be an indicator that you are serving the beer at the wrong temp? Its sort of like a reverse Coors blue mountain ...:)

I'm not a beer snob, but I figure if I'm going to go to all the work of making all grain pale ales, I may as well serve that at the temp they taste the best. No chill haze at those temps. :)

I prefer to serve my ales at 42°F and let them warm in the glass. I use Whirlfloc and my beers are generally pretty clear.

do you use whirlfloc in all of your beers? I just picked some up today for a stout.

Back