Chill haze or just not ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial IRA. It tastes great, but it's super cloudy. I also think it might need a little more time to carb. Anyways, i notice that in the bottle it seems pretty clear, but after being in the fridge it pours fairly cloudy. I bottled it 3 weeks ago, but since its a higher gravity beer, it might take longer to carb and condition. I should've added more yeast at bottling, oh well. If you look at the pictures, do you think it's chill haze or does it just need a little more time.

Resized_20160701_185408.jpeg

Resized_20160701_173741.jpeg

Wow, I didn't even think of that. I was able to chill it fairly quickly, which is kinda why I'm a little confused. I'll try that.

Interesting. So, you're saying after about 5-7 days in the fridge the chill haze starts to clear up? I've never had much of an issue with chill haze. Not sure why it's bugging me.

I wouldn't worry about it either way. If it tastes good just drink it. People are drinking IPA's these days that look like mud.

Chill haze forms as the bottles cool down in the fridge, then slowly settle downward like a fog in 5 days or so. Dry hop haze is common in IPA's as well.

Back