Chile Pepper Beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
How do I do it? dry hop the peppers? does the flavor hit right away when you drink? what hops goes nice with that and can I get the hops flavor to hit before or after the chili flavor (not at the same time)?:drunk:

What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!

I'd stick with putting them in the secondary (dry hop as you say) and taste it on a regular basis. Once it gets to the point of pepper taste/flavor/heat rack it off and keg/bottle it.

Also be aware that the flavor/taste may diminish over time but from what I can tell so far the heat does not.

Here is my Smoked Habanero Imperial Porter recipe

Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer

BYO - Hot! Hot! Hot! Brewing with Chili Peppers

I added mine to the last 10 mins of the boil. It's a interesting sensation where you get the heat not not as much up front pepper flavor.

Just had club comp (WHALES) and came in 3rd of 17. Bottle was a gusher and then, the chili popped out of the bottle like a happy monkey at the zoo. A youtube moment. I'll have to try to do it again and record.

I just made a pale ale base and the put some jalapenos in the primary and then jalapenos and seranos in the secondary. It has a good chunk of heat with some pepper flavor too. I did roast all of the peppers before putting them in the fermentor too.

What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!
That sounds dangerous!
Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer

That Amber Chili Ale sounds good. I've been wanting to make a chili pepper beer and I've been kicking around different ideas for the base beer. An amber sounds like a good base beer.

::bump::

One of my brewing buddies belongs to a capsaicin club at work - some of the members are actually growing ghost pepper and scorpion pepper plants under the office fluorescents. After seeing a plug for Morebeer's chipotle candi syrup, i've been inspired to make a smoked scorpion pepper version for a raspberry saison (yes, i realize this is a VERY bad idea). :drunk:

Has anyone looked into hop/chili/yeast combinations - e.g. which hops and which yeast highlight the flavor of the peppers the best? Some beers (and wines) are god awful with spicy food, so i'd imagine the same goes for mixing the wrong flavors into a beer. My instinct says more malt and less hops, but it'd be "cool" to get the bitterness and burn into the same beer.

That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!

That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!

Haha, I love how you can find flavors other than "HOLY $H!T" from the worlds hottest pepper!

Haha thats true - but it is very tasty. Thats the problem with the hot ones, they have a huge amount of flavour but absolutely kill me with pain. My girlfriend has an asbestos mouth though so I'm getting used to it.

As far as yeast and hops go, in a saison with chillis - never tried it but i'd go for something like amarillo, citrusy, almost mango-ish (like a mango-chilli salsa), and yeast i'd go for a belgian saison yeast. i usually go dry so i'd use t-58 because i like it, but i imagine the 3711 would go great. Spicy and citrusy, would go great with the chilli as well as the hops. If you're going for stupid hot chillis though you'd want to up the flavours of everything - including maltiness.

I wonder if big flavor from chilies is the same principal as big flavors from hops. Supposedly super high alpha hops have a ton of hop oil, which not only provides a lot of bitterness, but can also bring lots of flavor. Similarly super hot chilies could have a lot of chili oil, which results in a ton of great flavors going to food or brew.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure but it does seem similar. I like to cook with very hot peppers - I'd rather use one habanero over a handful of other chillies in a recipe for this reason. One habanero gives a hell of a lot more flavour a long with the burn than the other milder and blander chillies.

I'm growing some pretty hot peppers in my garden this year; the Jalapeno, Anaheim, Cayenne, and Cowhorn ones are doing very well. I also have a few other varieties growing (16 pepper plants altogether). I'd like to brew a hot pepper beer but I'm looking for some recommendation on what style to work off, and how I should add the peppers, how many, etc.

I'm thinking just take 5 or 6 hot peppers of various type, slice them up and add them to the boil towards the end, leave them in for primary fermentation, but rack it into secondary soon after the fermentation ends. Whether to work off a malty or a hoppy beer is TBD.

If it's good I can enter it into next year's local homebrew competition as a Vegetable Beer!

I made a Chocolate Chili Stout last year and when it came to the peppers, I started with a 2oz Cocoa Chile blend made by McCormick that I found in the spices aisle. That went in at 60min with the DME, LME, chocolate, etc. After all of that I added about 6 dried red chili peppers to the boil at 15min. I didn't dry-hop any peppers, and it ended up working out fine. It turned out to be a nice chocolate malty front with a bit of a bite at the finish - not too strong on any part.

I made a good chilibeer awhile back that was very good if I do say so myself,

The hops were magnum and centennial.......and I used a medium ancho chili
pepper (1 large pepper seeds and all, diced) added at flame out in a hop bag.
and about 1\3 tsp of cayenne at flameout. I used notty yeast at 62 degrees..........
the problem is there's not too many good mexican food joints in canada!

Latest posts

Back